Prepare for Your Visit
- The night before your procedure please do not eat or drink anything after midnight. This includes no gum, mints or water.
- If your surgery is in the afternoon, you may have a light breakfast, but may not consume anything to eat or drink 8 hours before. Therefore, if you procedure is at 3:00pm, do not eat or drink after 7:00am.
- Pediatric patients may have clear liquids (water, apple juice, 7Up, Coke and Pedialyte) up until 4 hours prior to the procedure, but must stop consumption 4 hours before the surgery.
- Diabetic patients need to call the preop phone nurse for special guidelines.
- Cardiac clearance is required on all heart patients (ex-bypass patients, stent patients, valve repair or replacement patients and pacemaker patients).
- All patients must have a friend or family member accompany you to your procedure and wait to drive you home. We will not release you to go home in a cab.
- All patients undergoing anesthesia must have a responsible adult stay with them for 24 hours after your surgery, unless you are just having a local anesthesia. This is mandated by the anesthesiologist.
- Please take off all colored nail polish off of finger nails. And, if your procedure is on a lower extremity, please take all colored nail polish off of toes.
- Please dress comfortably, in sweats or button shirts…things that can be put on easily and fit loosely.
- Please leave all valuables at home. This includes jewelry, watches, piercings.
- Do bring a photo ID and your insurance card, and any co-payment you may incur.
- If you have not been contacted by a preop nurse one week before your scheduled procedure, please contact us at 937.535.2200.
- Please take a few minutes and fill out the preop questionnaire and assessment, and fax, mail or email this to Greater Dayton Surgery Center at least one week before your procedure. (These forms will be in the packet of papers you received from your surgeon’s office or you can download them online at www.daytonsurgerycenter.com)
- All forms and questionnaires are used to assess your individual situation and medical history and to determine if additional preop testing is needed before you arrive for your procedure.
Please call the preop nurse with any questions at 937.535.2213 or 937.535.2200.